Statler and Waldorf Review: Richard Manuel class
Location: First floor : Mandelson Room, The Winchester Project, 21 Winchester Road, London NW3 3NR
Time: 7:30pm - 9pm
Date: Thursday 4th February
Richard Manuel runs a class on Thursdays, in Swiss Cottage. I'll keep the details to a minimum, and let Statler and Waldorf do the commenting...
Statler: I'm Statler.
Waldorf: I'm Waldorf. We're here to heckle Richard Manuel's class.
Standing on a raised bar, practicing swinging the leg to get a free motion going.
Practicing back boleo motions, then front foot cross-over motions.
Statler: "You know, the older I get, the more I appreciate good music."
Waldorf: "What's that got to do with what we just heard?"
Statler: "Nothing, just thought I'd mention it. "
- Backstep on right, woman forwards step
- Lead woman to a sidestep to your left, then pivot on right 180 degrees, steps back onto left, then back-sacada the woman's left leg
- Woman pivots anti-clockwise into a back-boleo; man pivots on left to face woman and forward-boleos with right foot
- Man steps forward onto front (right) foot, whilst leading the lady into a forward boleo with her right
- Man forward ochos to left and leads the leady into a back boleo (again with her right)
- Man steps around behind the lady (anti-clockwise), then leads her to pivot and back sacada with her left foot against the man's outside (left) foot.
- Man steps around over the lady's back foot, then swings her free (left) leg to wrap around him.
- Exit, then back step into a back soltada (both), then collect.
Statler: "What did you think of that?"
Waldorf: "I liked it!"
Statler: "Ugh! You?! Uuuugh! (Bangs head on balcony edge three times) YOU... LIKED... THAT?!"
Waldorf: "No... I just wanted to see what you did if I said I did."
- As for basic 8 up until a cross - man crosses right foot in front of left. Woman transfers weight during her cross, but man does not.
- Man forward ochos to his left (onto his right foot), woman steps onto her right but does not collect.
- Man forward ochos to his right (onto his left foot), woman steps onto her left but does not collect.
- Woman steps back onto her right foot, leaves left foot trailing forwards
- Man steps forward onto his right, around outside (his right) the lady's forward foot, to place his right foot alongside the lady's back (right) foot.
- Man leads lady into a pasada (step over) his right foot, but stops before the transfer of weight
- Colgada - man sandwiches lady's right foot and pivots clockwise, leading a colgada.
Statler: "I liked that last sequence."
Waldorf: "What did you like about it?"
Statler: "It was the last sequence."
Lots of things to think about and to practice; very suitable for nuevo movers.
Statler: "This class is awful!"
Waldorf: "See you next week?"
Statler: "Of course. "
~ David Bailey, 19th January 2010